Welcome to Girl Eat World – My name is Melissa Hie and I am the “Girl” in Girl Eat World. As the name of this blog might have suggested, I love eating and traveling the world. You might have came here through @girleatworld, but this blog is where I go beyond Instagram to record my travel and food stories!
Blogging and I go way back – I have been blogging for close to two decades since 2001. I was pretty nerdy as a kid. I loved building websites, and I was part of the early adopter of Blogger before switching to WordPress in their beta days. I was blogging about video games and all kinda of cringe-worthy topics as any teenager would. However, my blog did not survive after I started working full-time and I abandoned blogging.
In 2014, I accidentally found success with Instagram and discovered that I still love telling stories of my travels. With this renewed enthusiasm, I decided to give blogging another try and this time I created a dedicated travel blog and named in Girl Eat World in 2015 – which is this blog you are viewing right now! That’s why you can’t find entries older than 2015 in this blog, although my old blog is still alive and well – which I won’t link since the content is so embarrassing 😐
So long story short, that’s how Girl Eat World started. Since then, I’ve been super duper extra lucky to have explored places I never thought I would visit – such as Ukraine, Jordan, middle of Australia, and Tasmania – done the diving trip of a lifetime in Raja Ampat, spent loads of time in Bali and Japan, crossed New Zealand off my bucket list… and the list goes on, hopefully.
Lastly, I just have to highlight that blogging is not my full-time job. I’m still happily employed as a Product Designer in Singapore at the best company ever, called TradeGecko. We were acquired by Intuit during the tumultuous year of 2020, and we are hiring in Singapore. Get in touch if you have product skills – Product Manager, Designer and Engineers!
My Annual Year in Review
To illustrate my travel journey on this blog every year (and mostly for my own benefit), I do these year-in-review posts. Feel free to check them out if this interests you:
- So 2019 was a pretty crazy one…
- Wrapping up 2018: Travel Highlights and Personal Milestones
- What 2017 meant to me
- The Highlights of 2016 Travels
- Looking at 2015 through 25 Photos
So, you want to know more about me?
- If you want to know things like how I started traveling and what camera I use and how I edit my photos, please visit my Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page
- For features or articles that have been written about Girl Eat World (both of the Instagram and this blog), please visit the press page
- I have visited 36 countries so far – you can view my travel map here
- To keep up with my travels in real time, you can follow me on Facebook and Instagram. I also have a personal Instagram that is more geared toward general travel picture and my daily life in Singapore
- I am a lazy cook, but I do cook frequently! Find my lazy recipes at The Lazy Cook
My Other Interests
Food, Travel and Visual story-telling are my three main passion. That much is obvious from this blog. Other than that, I’m really just a geeky girl at heart. I enjoy playing games, mostly RPGs and tower defense game. My first-ever website, that inspired me to self-teach myself how to code and is the entire reason I have a job, was a character shrine for Final Fantasy VII. I also love watching sci-fi shows – I am a die-hard fan of The X-Files since I was 13, and doing some (front-end) coding for work and personal projects.
I also enjoy diving, the kind that takes you underwater, which conveniently sort of overlaps with travel most of the time. It has taken me to obscure places I never thought I would ever visit. I have Advanced PADI certification and have logged over 100 dives so far.